Why is media intelligence important? Well, because data never sleeps and content continues to flow in ever-growing volumes. The world’s internet population is growing significantly year over year. As of March of 2021, the internet reached more than 60% of people¾double what it was ten years ago.
Public-facing content production platforms, especially social media, have seen a huge uptick in activity as well. Every minute, Reddit sees more than 479,000 people engage with content and YouTube users upload 500 hours of video. In addition to user-generated social media content, there are extraordinary amounts of content published daily. One of countless examples: Investopedia notes that there are, on average, some 500 to 1,000 news releases issued every day.
These and other content producers could be talking about your brand or organization this very minute. How can you ever know for sure? And how can you become a part of, or influence, the nature of that conversation? That’s the role of media intelligence (MI).
Media Intelligence helps you wade through and make sense of an overwhelming amount of content, more of which is produced each day. Without MI, you risk being in the dark, perhaps being blindsided or missing out on a terrific opportunity for your brand.
With Nexis Newsdesk™, you can automate monitoring to search for your brand and other keywords, combing millions of news articles, online posts, and social mentions each and every day. This monitoring allows you to take swift action when negative commentary erupts—giving you the opportunity to mitigate the situation, take control of the message, and potentially turn your detractors into supporters. Consider these ways you can protect your brand through proactive media intelligence:
- Monitor Sentiment: Stay on top of what others are saying about your brand. Take advantage of personalized searches and alerts to instantly know when your company name is mentioned – and whether the context is positive or negative.
- Benchmark: Compare your brand or organization against your peers and competitors. What media sources are mentioning your brand? Where are your peers and competitors earning coverage? Where do you want your brand to show up?
- Respond Swiftly: By monitoring your brand, you can quickly mitigate crisis situations as they arise. Track down negative commentary and nip it in the bud. Respond to negative feedback or social media comments. Plan your responses and next steps to save resources and avoid the potential of a costly crisis.
- Celebrate Wins: You can also celebrate your wins, using positive coverage from influencers, industry trade media and other sources to impact the perception of your organization among clients, customers, competitors and within the industry. The credibility and implied endorsement of positive media coverage can become valuable fodder for internal, external, stakeholder and social media communications.
- Keep an Eye on the Competition. MI helps you monitor important keywords, competitor names and industry terms to help read between the lines to anticipate your competitors’ next move: market shifts, product launches, strategic partnerships or business opportunities.
- Make decisions based on fact, not feelings. You might have a hunch about trending topics or new opportunities for your business, but sometimes those hunches can be hollow. MI allows you to recognize media trends and, if necessary, implement strategic pivots accordingly—and have confidence in knowing those strategies are based on advanced analysis.
This is why investing in MI is such a smart move for any brand seeking an edge. And when it comes to MI solutions, none is smarter and all-around better than Newsdesk—the 5-time CODiE award winner for best Best Content Search & Discovery Solution. To learn more visit us here